Solutions for X5 shutdown issues?

I'm hoping someone can offer me (and the rest of us) something to try on my computer to counter the frequent and destructive X5 shut downs that are happening. I've read about this problem in other threads, so I know it's not just me or my system.

X5 shuts down many, many times every day. I don't think I've been able to work for 15 minutes straight yet without it crashing.

I am running a fast dual-core Intel, XP Pro SP3, 2 GB RAM, ATI Sapphire/Radeon 1GB card, oodles of hard drive space. I can run the hottest, most demanding games no problem. I run hundreds of other apps with no problem. I had no similar problem with X4 on this machine. I have no similar problem with other Corel apps, either.
X5 crashes still happen after I close down as many memory-resident apps as I can. I can't strip it down much further.
I usually have a few (3-4) dockers open, one or two palettes, and my files include several bitmaps which may include transparencies or colour masks. I have about 650 fonts installed.

X5 shuts down on me many times during every work session. Sometimes when I am changing fonts, sometimes when editing bitmaps, sometimes when importing bitmaps, sometimes when applying a transparency. Bang - just shuts down. I can have Corelpaint open editing a bitmap and CD closes underneath it. I can open window to import a file and CD closes as I search the thumbnails. It closes when I click the change page tab.

Doesn't seem to be any specific act or function that closes it - it just shuts down. Gone.

No warning. I lose everything since the previous save. Half the time the working file is corrupted, too, so I can't even restore it. I have to keep numerous versions on disk and use save-as with every save to keep just one alive.
I notice that the option to set memory usage has gone from the global options menu. Maybe it's bad memory management and we need that option back? I'd be happy to assign a higher percentage of RAM to X5 if that would help.
It's obviously time to go back to X4 until they fix it. But if anyone has some interim solutions that would stabilize X5, I'd like to read them.

Comments